How to use Sort by options
This feature is not available for all users
Sort by options is used by your customers to re-arrange the search results order or product list of a collection order to view them in their preferred order. There are 9 defaults sort by options settings including relevance, best-selling, manual, product title (A to Z), product title (Z to A), price (Low to high), price (High to low), created (Oldest to newest), created (Newest to oldest). This tool helps you create custom sort by options and use one of the sort by options order as the default sorting order of the collection pages and/or search result page.
Custom sort by option
If you need to create a new sort by options based on your product attributes such as: sorting by vendors, tags, product types, metafield values names alphabetically ascending/ descending, or sorting by reviews ratings, sorting by publishing dates, etc. You can edit their labels or add new sort by options in the feature Sort by options.
Go to Menu
Sort by options. Select the
+Add new sort by option
+ Add sort by button. Select the
sorting type, enter the
label for the sort by option, select
its order and click
Save > Save settings.
The new sort by option is now available on the frontend store. It might take a short while for the product to finish mapping before it gets the results in the correct order.
Click the edit icon of the sort by option you would like to change the name.
Enter a new label for the selected option.
- The label of the sort by option on your store frontend will be changed accordingly.
Select the delete icon of the sort by options you'd like to delete.
- Confirm your action by clicking Got it.
- Go to Menu Tool > select Sort by options. In the Default sorting options tab > Enable default sorting options
Ticked the check box and choose a sorting option to apply for collection pages/ search result page
There is a list of sorting orders for
Search result page (excluding the
Manual sorting option) & Collection pages. Tick the respective checkbox & choose an order to set a sorting order as a default option.
- Click Save settings button to save all changes.
Select the edit icon of the sorting option you would like to edit.
Change the sorting option, add new or remove collection pages to the setting & click Save settings button.
- The default sorting option on your frontend store will be changed accordingly.
- Deleting/ disabling a sort by option order that is set to be default in the Search result page setting: the Relevance sorting order will be applied instead.
- Deleting/ disabling a sort by option order that is set to be default in the All collections setting: the respective sorting order in Shopify collections will be applied instead. If the Shopify Collection sorting order is the same as the disabled/ deleted value, there will be no default sorting option on the respective frontend collection page.
- Deleting/ disabling a sort by option order that is set to be default in the Specific collections setting: the sorting option in All collections setting will be applied instead.
How to add a new sort by option
How to rename (change the label of) a sort by option
For the 9 default options: relevance, best-selling, manual, title (A to Z, Z to A), price (Low to High, High to Low), created (Oldest to newest, newest to oldest), if you leave their labels blank, the frontend store will show whatever default labels set by your theme.
How to remove a sort by option
How to re-arrange the position of display for a sort by option
To re-order the position of a sort by option, you can grab the sort by options by the dots and place it in your preferred order. Then click
Default sorting options
This function allows you to use one of the sort by options order as the default sorting order of the collection pages and/or search result page.
How to set a default sorting option for the search result page/collection pages
You can use both
All Collections &
Specific collections. When setting a default sorting option for
s, all collections in your store apart from those that have been chosen in the
Specific Collections setting will be applied with this sorting order. (In case this option is disabled/ deleted in the
Sort by option tab, please refer to the
Relationship between two tabs).
If you set a sorting option for Specific collections, all chosen collections will have this sorting option as default. In case the option is disabled/ deleted (in Sort by option tab), these collections will follow the default sorting option in the All collections setting.
Note: Relevance sorting in collection pages only works with the in-collection search. There are 2 scenarios:
1. When customers input a keyword in the in-collection search and the default sort is relevance, the results will return the products, which are the closest to the keyword.
2. When customers do not input any keywords in the in-collection search and the default sort is relevance, the products will display based on the second sort in our backend, which is created (Newest to oldest).
How to edit a sorting option
The relationship between Sort by options & Default sorting options settings
Because all of the Sort by options orders are the input data for Default sorting options settings, there is a strong relationship between them.
In case you delete/ disable a sort by option being used in Default sorting options tab, there is a warning popup shown:
This is to notify you of the action in the case:
After confirming by clicking Got it button, you also need to click Save settings to save all changes.